Mexico Travel Visas
Mexican ambassy

Here are the things you need to bring with you in order to enter Mexico:

1. Proof of Citizenship. You must be able to prove that you are a citizen of a country other than Mexico. Valid proofs include your original birth certificate with a raised seal, naturalization papers or a valid passport . If you are using your birth certificate a proof of citizenship, make sure to bring a current photo ID, like a driver's license.

2. If your current name is different that the one in the birth certificate, bring legal proof of name change, such as a Marriage Certificate. Be sure to bring the original documents, as photocopies are not accepted.

The Mexican Tourist Permit

The citizens of some countries are not required to obtain a visa in order to be able to enter the country as a tourist. These countries include the United States, New Zealand, Australia, Chile, Argentina, Japan, Canada and almost all western European countries. However, citizens of these countries are advised to bring their passports, as this will be required upon entry to the country.

The list of countries is not static – it changes and so it is best to check the current list to determine whether your country of citizenship is included in the list. Log onto to check the current regulations of visit the nearest Mexican embassy or consulate.

The Mexican Tourist Permit is Mexico's version of the tourist visa. Upon arrival at the border, officials determine and approve the proof of citizenship presented. The tourist permit is then issued to the tourist. The permit is given during a flight en route to Mexico, or at a Mexican consulate or at the border (if you are coming in by bus or by car).

Fill this out with all the necessary information (name, nationality, gender, etc). This is stamped at the boder.

The Mexican Tourist Permit should be kept in a safe and secure place, as you will be required to present this upon exit of the country. What's more, if you lost this it may take quite a while to replace it. You may have to wait for a few hours or longer – sometimes a week! Before you get your replacement. To be on the safe side, write you tourist permit number down and keep this number with your travel documents. This will facilitate the replacement of the permit in case you lose it.

Tourist Permit Validity

In the Riviera Maya (which is a top tourist destination) the permit is only good for a maximum of 30 days. If you want to extend your stay, visit any of the immigration offices so that you can file for an extension. Please file your request 15 days prior to your permit's expiration date.

When asking for an extension, bring:

  • The original Mexican Tourist Permit
  • Your passport and several photocopies of it
  • A letter stating your request for an extension of your stay
  • Credit Card: Sometimes, they ask this to make sure that you have enough funds for your stay. Tourists are not allowed to work inMexico.

Immigration Offices

Here is a list of immigration offices in and near Playa del Carmen:

Address: Corner of Avenida Uxmal and Nader downtown Cancun
Hours: Mondays to Fridays, 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.

Playa del Carmen
Address: Plaza Antiguas, downtown Playa del Carmen
Hours: Mondays to Fridays, 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.

Other tips:

  • Make sure that your passport has at least 6 months left before it expires.
  • When bringing a minor, bring a notarized letter from the parent(s) that authorizes the child to travel with you and into Mexico.
  • Photocopy your travel documents (passport, etc.) and leave them with a relative or a friend. This way, you can still have copies of the documents faxed to you in the event that you lose it.

Photocopy all your travel documents including your passport and any document that has your signature on it and leave them with a relative or friend that you know you can contact in the event that you loose all your documentation. The copies can be faxed to you.

Log into for more details or specific situations.


Country Address Telephone
Belize 998-887-8417
Brazil 998-884-0538
Canada Tulúm Avenue, block 4, Plaza México, local B12, Cancún 988-884-4316,988-884-3716, 998-883-3360
Cuba 998-884-3423
Finland 998-884-1600
France Kukulkán Blvd. km 13.5, Casa Turquesa Hotel, Cancún, Quintana Roo. (988) 885-22-22, 885-29-24 ext. 201
Germany Punta Conoco, # 36, block 24, Cancún, Qunitana Roo. 988-884-1698, 988-884-1898, 988-884-1598
Great Britain Kukulkán Blvd., Km. 16.5, Cancún, Quintana Roo 988-885-11-66
Italy Alcatraces # 39, block 22, Cancún, Quintana Roo 988-884-1569, 988-884-1261
Poland 998-884-7020
Spain Kukulkán Blvd. by Cenzontle 1st Street, Cancún, Quintana Roo 988-883-2455
Switzerland 998-884-8446
United Kingdom 998-881-0100
United States Kukulkán Blvd., Plaza Caracol # 11, Cancún, Quintana Roo 988-883-0172

Site Search
Enforex Playa del Carmen

Study Spanish in Playa del Carmen
Enforex Mexico offers you the best Spanish courses in Playa del Carmen.

- Unsubscribe

© 2007 Wistorm s.l. All Rights Reserved.